The aim of our Level 8 Emu School Readiness Stage 2 Program is to ensure that your child has all the skills necessary to have an easy, happy transition to school and to be ready for formal learning and sporting opportunities.
For children to learn easily at school, be it at the desk or in the sporting arena, they must have automatic movement skills. They must be able to use one part of their body independently from other parts, be able to cross over the midline of the body, and be able to sit still when required to do so. The GymbaROO neurologically based movement program helps to make sure your child is ‘school ready’.
ACTIVITIES FOR SCHOOL READINESS AND EXCELLENCE IN LEARNING – EMUS
Level 8 Emus classes include specific exercises that focus on laterality, cross pattern work, automaticity of movement that enables thinking and moving to occur in unison, crossing the mid-line, and independent function of individual body parts i.e. right hand/left foot. These include:
- Activities using small equipment that refine hand-eye coordination skills e.g. hoops, balls, bean bags,swisher ribbons and more.
- Perceptual Motor Program games that are fun and specifically target the maturation of areas of the brain that help make learning at school easier.
- Group games and relays that encourage team work.
- Language and pre-reading activities that promote literacy skills in readiness for reading at school including specific word and phrase visualisation, and auditory stimulation activities. We encourage children to start to recognize and put words into sentences.
- Music, dance and singing.
- Parachute games.
- Advanced body awareness and directionality activities.
- Following at least 4 instructions without prompting.
- Focus on activities that demonstrate that both sides of the brain are working together smoothly and easily e.g. cross pattern marching, skipping and hopping in any direction, swinging under the monkey bars with rhythm and control.
- Very specific climbing, balancing, crawling, jumping, swinging and hanging, skill work on our specialised gym equipment that fine-tunes co-ordination, concentration, and motor skills and promotes advanced complex movement skills.
- Encouraging children to work independently of their adult helper and consolidate the skills of being an independent learner.
- Individual activities designed specifically for children to help them to be ‘School Ready’.
CHILDREN WHO ATTEND GYMBAROO SCHOOL READINESS PROGRAMS DEVELOP:
- Listening skills and the ability to follow directions.
- Positive self-esteem and confidence in a group situation.
- Social skills e.g. turn taking, cooperation, ability to function as part of a group.
- Self-help skills e.g. independence and recognition of belongings.
- Strong hands and fingers (and backs and arms) ready for writing.
- Visual and language skills ready for reading.
- Awareness of pattern and rhythm ready for maths.
- Well-developed balance, coordination and gross motor skills to help ensure your child’s brain and body is ready for learning.
- A sense of fun.