Wallabies are named because of their enthusiasm for jumping on and off anything they can find! The Level 5 Wallaby age group is distinguished by the brain starting to change in the way it works, enabling greater efficiency in learning and processing information. Each hemisphere of the brain begins to control the movements of each side of the body in coordination, and by 20 months, many can actually move each body part independently from others. This is the reason we begin to do very different activities in the GymbaROO program
The 45 minute class includes and increasingly complex; free play, mat time, equipment time, music time and parachute play.
ACTIVITIES FOR IMPROVING BODY AWARENESS, CONTROL AND STRENGTH – WALLABIES
Level 5 Wallabies do lots of activities that cross the midline and are encouraged to use one side of their body differently to the other. We also teach new, more complex, skills like jumping around in a circle, ‘crocodiles’ and following a two-step instruction.
During the Wallaby class:
- It is at this age that children begin to develop better control of their bodies. At GymbaROO all our mat time action time activities are therefore slowed so that children have time to move themselves. This is how they learn to perfect their body awareness and movement control.
- The ‘crocodile’ movement continues during the massage session due to its importance in body coordination and reflex inhibition.
- Dances are now sequential, as this helps children learn to move and think at the same time.
- Developmentally appropriate small equipment activities continue to be a favourite at the mat with our balls of all sizes, swisher ribbons, bean bags, hoops, ropes and more.
- Specific sensory-perceptual-movement program activities are introduced at this level and form an essential part of equipment time.
- We encourage all children to swing across under the overhead ladder as strong upper body control is essential for later fine motor control of a pencil. If the large muscles of the body are strong, then the smaller muscles of the hands and fingers are more likely to be strong and more easily controlled to manipulate a pen or pencil for writing.
- Level 5 Wallaby classes maybe combined with Level 6 Kangaroo classes. As we teach according to the children in the class this will include activities that challenge and stimulate both age groups.